Set aside the neo-Klan-Nazi minority. Set aside the truly despicable - Coulter, Hannity, Falwell and the like. Forget the hell-spawn who think only of their personal wealth.
Think about the white non-college male voter:
… Trump’s fortunes rest on his core supporters, white men who lack a four-year college degree … He leads Clinton among them by 76-17 percent, an enormous 59-point advantage. That’s widened from 40 points early this month; it’s a group Mitt Romney won by 31 points -- half Trump’s current margin -- in 2012.
Whatever happens with this election, that 60% gap is a staggering fact.
How does the world look like to these non-college white men of the 4th quintile?
I have limited exposure to this cohort. A few Facebook friends — but they don’t post much about Trump. A family member with a cognitive disability claims to like Trump. That’s about it.
I need a journalist-anthropologist to falsify my story. I can’t help imagining a story though. It goes like this …
- I have no hope of a secure economic future with savings, stable employment, good healthcare benefits and a pension.
- I have limited marriage opportunities. I really miss the patriarchy. I feel that in my bones.
- I watch Fox. I can understand it. Fox approves of me. Nobody else cares what happens to me.
- I don’t understand economics, but I’ve lived through the past ten years. I’ve heard a lot of broken promises. Maybe nobody understands economics. Maybe the people who understand economics are lying to me. I definitely don’t understand borrowing from a wealthier future.
- I don’t like academics.
- I don’t care about the damned polar bears. I like warm weather. I don’t like bugs. I like motors and pavement. I don’t care about CO emissions.
- I watch reality cop shows, where every criminal is a black man. I directly encounter crime and it’s always black men. I am afraid of black men. 
- I don’t have a lot to lose.
None of this is going to go away. If we want to keep civilization going we need to give this cohort hope.
- In defense of Donald Trump 7/2016
- Donald Trump is a sign of a healthy democracy. Really. 8/2015 (Where the alternative is the french revolution…)
- Trump explained: Non-college white Americans now have higher middle-aged death rates than black Americans 11/2015
- Trumpism: a transition function to the world of mass disability. 8/2016
- fn -
 As a pedestrian and cyclist I am far more likely to be injured or killed by a white woman on a phone than a black man. FWIW.