We could use some more sunlight. Economic growth would be good too.
For Gordon's contribution to the festive spirit, see SETI Fail/Fermi Paradox Future Filters and a 2004 summary. OTOH.
PS. The Economist on end-of-the-world predictions since 250 AD.
- The Fermi Paradox in science fiction: a review 8/2008
- Fermi Paradox: life is extremely rare 10/2009
- The limits of disaster predictions: complex adaptive systems 2/2007
- Gamma ray bursters and the Fermi paradox: Earth has 1 billion years left 10/2005. When I look at pretty astronomy pictures, I see billions dying. I think later research was more reassuring.
- The Pentagon prepares for the climate crash, but there's more fun ahead in the 21st century ... 9/2004 doom and gloom