The combination of RSS and the basic blog post is almost perfect. There are, however, a few things that would make them even better as a way to share information in most organizations.
- Provide an email summary option that is generated on post, daily, or weekly. (SharePoint does this for some list types.)
- Add a Publication Date in addition to the Last Modified date and make the Publication Date both the primary sort field and make it user editable without changing the URL. That way a publisher can choose to easily replace a topical post with a newer version and optionally republish it as new. (For organizational use the historical record is unimportant.)
- Author control of notification generation. There's no need to generate a fresh RSS entry or email update for the correction of a few typos or other minor changes.
- Easy sharing of articles by email and other 'send' modalities.
- Tags with tag specific rss and views (many blogs do this).
- Editing tags should not generate notifications.