There are hints of a truce in the Apple-Google wars.
If a truce is coming, it's fair to ask why now. My guesses ...
- Google has realized how evil Verizon is -- and Brin/Page are pushing back against Schmidt. The carriers are the great enemy.
- Apple and Google believe the Windows Phone will not suck, and that Nokia will use it.
- Facebook shafted Apple at the Ping product launch, and the Apple/Facebook affair is over.
- Google has realized they can't do end user software.
- Apple has realized it can't do the Cloud.
- Apple and Google see big money in a joint approach to credential and identity management.
- The iPad.
- Schmidt is on the way out (ok, that's a bit farfetched).