In 2018 I met one of my two CrossFit Life Goals (tm) - 10 consecutive dubs (hit 42 in a wild fluke the other day). Only took me five times as long as anyone else I know.
The other goal is the Kipping Bar Muscle-Up. So that’s on the list for 2019. I’m also planning an IMBA “Epic” mountain bike trek — the Maah Daah Hey, but that’s mostly about showing up and moving my feet. The Bar Muscle-Up may be impossible, so it’s more interesting. (Watching Paoli video I should be able to do it now , but that’s now what I’m feeling!)
I’m putting my training notes and references on this page.
- Hands a bit wide, but narrower than bench
- Star swing with shoulders
- Arched position is pretty arched (I think I have mobility issues there)
- Drive hips to bar from top of “hollow” position, while “push down on bar with straight arms”
- Strict pull-up
- Kipping chest-to-bar with elbows behind the back
- Lat Pull-downs
- Use gym machine with pulley’s ropes to emulate the curious straight arm downward push-pull (see still below).
- I don’t have the bar Paoli is using, but I can rotate rings and use those in place of the bar.
- Back extension and arching
- Shoulder range of motion, esp. internal rotation
- Band-assist Muscle-Up
- Hip-to-bar progression with a slight arm-pull, hip drive from the hollow (I can’t get my hips to the bar yet), note in this still from Paoli video his elbows are bent, but he’s mostly pushing the bar down towards his hips and lower abdomen. Feet are below hips. Trapezius muscle here. I have to figure out how to build something like this.
and note he’s actually hitting bar around navel at this point (not hips), feet are still in front as he transitions.
 Well, not now exactly. My left biceps is strained, so I have to rehab that first.